Defense Security Service Budget Analyst in Quantico, Virginia
Mission Statement The Defense Security Service (DSS) strengthens national security at home and abroad through our security oversight and education operations. DSS oversees the protection of U.S. and foreign classified information and technologies in the hands of cleared industry under the National Industrial Security Program by providing professional risk management services. As Functional Manager for the Department of Defense (DoD), DSS provides security education, training, certification, and professional development for the DoD and for other U.S. Government personnel, contractor employees, and representatives of foreign governments.
VETERANS PREFERENCE/CURRENT OR FORMER FEDERAL In accordance with DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, veterans preference is not required to be applied when considering candidates with prior Federal competitive or excepted service who have completed a probationary or trial period and have not been separated for cause. Therefore, veterans preference will not be applied to applicants with current federal service, or former federal civilian service meeting the above criteria.
Learn more about this agency
- Perform a wide range an of applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies and program plans to monitor financial and other related fiscal operations.
- Advise management officials and subject matter specialists on general financial management issues.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and objectives of the DoD Planning, Programming, Budgeting, and Execution System guidance for formulating, presenting, and executing fiscal programs for the DSS.
- Prepare background material and documentation for use in presenting financial management information and justifying recommendations for changes that affect financial management operations.
- Analyze and interpret complex legislation, policies and regulatory decisions to assist in the development of plans and provide expert interpretation of guidance for use by program managers, higher level management and senior leadership.
- Promote financial management business decisions based on organization policies, concepts and strategic direction.
- #### Job family (Series)
0560 Budget Analysis
- Analysts, Budget
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a US citizen
- Male born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Resume and supporting documents received by 11:59PM EST will be considered
- This is a Drug Testing designated position
- Position is a (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under U.S.C. 1601
- WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time
- OVERTIME: Occasionally
- TOUR OF DUTY: Flexible
- PCS (Permanent Change of Station): Not Authorized
- FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT (FLSA): Exempt
- FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: Not Required
- TELEWORK ELIGIBILITY: This position is telework eligible
- SELECTIVE SERVICE REQUIREMENT: For more information please visit: SSS
- In accordance with DoD instruction 1300.26, personnel assigned to this position must obtain DoD Financial Management Certification Level 2 within 2 years of appointment date.
- If certified, certification must be maintained IAW DoD instruction 1300.26.
The experience described in your resume will be evaluated and screened from the Office of Personnel Management's (OPMs) basic qualifications requirements. See:https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0500/budget-analysis-series-0560/) for OPM qualification standards, competencies and specialized experience needed to perform the duties of the position as described in the MAJOR DUTIES and QUALIFICATIONS sections of this announcement by 03/26/2018
Applicant must have directly applicable experience that demonstrates the possession of the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies necessary for immediate success in the position. Qualifying experience may have been acquired in any public or private sector job, but will clearly demonstrate past experience in the application of the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to successfully perform the duties of the position. Such experience is typically in or directly related to the work of the position to be filled. Experience must be reflected in your resume.
Specialized experience required for this position is: Advance knowledge in financial business practices, performance management and measurement. Efficient and effective financial management processes. Review and preparing budget estimates and financial plans and formulating long-range budgetary requirements with knowledge in policies, concepts and agency strategic direction.
Specifically you will be evaluated on the following competencies: 1. Budget Execution
Concepts, Policies, and Principles of Budget
Fundamentals & Operations of Budget
Financial Management Analysis
Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at: DOD GEN APP INFO
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
Superior Academic Achievement does not apply to DCIPS positions.
Foreign Education: For further information, click on the following link: FOREIGN EDUCATION
For further information, click on the following link: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
Employees Serviced by DLA: Civilian Federal employees who receive human resources servicing through the Defense Logistics Agency DO NOT need to submit supporting documentation if applying through merit promotion. Your record in Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF) will be used to verify your eligibility. It is your responsibility to ensure the required documents are in your eOPF for verification purposes. If your documents are not in eOPF, you must submit them to the announcement you are applying for at time of application. Failure to submit all of the documents on time will result in automatic disqualification.
All current and former Federal employees must submit a copy of your latest SF-50 showing your tenure, grade and step, and type of position occupied (i.e., Excepted or Competitive).
Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at: http://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Documents/Careers/downloads/DoDGenAppInfo.pdf
Other Notes: Applicants selected from this announcement may be required to serve a two-year trial period. If selected, Federal employees currently serving in the competitive service must acknowledge that they will voluntarily leave the competitive service by accepting an offer of employment for a DCIPS excepted service positions.
If selected, non-DCIPS candidates must acknowledge in writing that the position they have been selected for is in the excepted service and covered by DCIPS.
Selection under this appointment authority does not confer civil service competitive status.
All current and former Federal employees must submit a copy of your latest SF50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing your tenure, grade and step, and type of position occupied (i.e., Excepted or Competitive); or similar Notification of Personnel Action documentation, i.e., Transcript of Service, Form 1150, etc.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the Occupational Questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job If you are found to be among the top candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
Résumé: If multiple resumes are submitted by an applicant, only the last resume submitted will be reviewed for the qualifications and referred for selection consideration if eligible.
Current or former federal employees must provide a copy of your latest SF-50 showing series and grade. If selected, additional documentation may be required prior to appointment.
Additional documents you may be required to submit vary based on what authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying for one of the categories such as a veteran, a current or former permanent Federal employee). PLEASE REVIEW the following LINK for additional documents you need to provide or refer to the eligibility you select in the application process. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS If selected, additional documentation may be required prior to appointment.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package as described in REQUIRED DOCUMENTS.
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
- Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
- Applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To review the status of an application through USAJOBS:
- Log into your USAJOBS account
- Click Application Status within your profile to expand your application
- Locate the job announcement and click the more information link under the Status column for this position. You will be routed to Application Manager. The Details tab displays by default. The Details tab displays comprehensive information about the selected Application Package including: assessment(s) and the status, supporting documents and their status, correspondence sent to you by the hiring agency, and your application processing status. Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at: http://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Documents/Careers/downloads/DoDGenAppInfo.pdf
Agency contact information
Defense Security Service 27130 Telegraph Road Quantico, VA US
Learn more about this agency
Once you successfully complete the application process, you will receive a notification of receipt. Your application package will be reviewed to ensure you meet the basic eligibility and qualifications requirements, and you will receive a notification. A review will be made of your online questionnaire and the documentation you submitted to support your responses. A list of qualified applicants will be created and sent to the selecting official. All applicants reviewed and/or referred will receive a notification letter.
The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews, and once the selection is made, you will receive a notification of the decision.
*NOTE: If you submit a resume but no questionnaire, you cannot be considered for the position. If you submit a questionnaire but no resume, you cannot be considered for the position. Your application will be appropriately documented and you will be removed from further competition against this announcement.
REGARDING INTERVIEWS: Interviews may be required for this position. Accommodations may be made to conduct telephonic interviews to preclude travel hardships for applicants. Note: Declining to be interviewed or failure to report for a scheduled interview will be considered as a declination for further consideration for employment against this vacancy.
The Defense Security Service provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the point of contact for this job announcement. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
This announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493889300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 03/14/2018 to 03/26/2018
Salary: $96,970 to $126,062 per year
Pay scale & grade: GG 13
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent